Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lunch: getting in touch with LETTUCE!

What's better than eating chocolate chip cookies and a salad for lunch? Eating chocolate chip cookies and a salad made of lettuce I picked from a local organic farm! So fresh, so real, with a little dirt on the side.

I often dream of eating flowers right out of the ground because they smell so delicious. The truth is, eating lettuce straight out of a muddy plot is just as AWESOME!

Do you know who picked your lettuce? Where it grew? How many chemicals were sprayed on it? How much of the $4 you spent at the grocery made it back to support the farmer's family?

I like getting to know my food- one product at a time. Today- lettuce. Tomorrow- I may need to break down the ingredients in my favorite chocolate chip cookies...

Fact: It can be hard to know how to go about getting to know your food. I've been feeling a little helpless moving to a new city and trying to be food conscious when I don't even know of all the options there are to get food! Here are a couple ways to get in touch with your lettuce and other food:

-Start a garden and watch how lettuce grows from seed to head! It's not natural for your veggies to be shiny and perfect. Embrace the dirt and brown spots and be amazed that God made it possible for us to grow our own food!

-Go to the farmers market! Walk up to a stand and start asking the farmer questions about her/his produce. Then, ask if you could come visit their farm! If they say no, move on to the next farmer- most of them are nice, love what they do, and want you to know about it.

-Look at the labels of the food you buy at the grocery store. Where was it made? Was it grown organically? Does the label even say where it was grown or does it only tell you from where it was distributed? What are they trying to hide?

No comments:

Post a Comment