#2: 3 June 2010
Today was my first day as the Sustainability Intern at DFA! I read a lot and my eyes hurt now. They scheduled a physical and drug test for me at the end of the day, so after taking the wrong exit, turning around, and getting to the waiting room 10 minutes late, I found myself sitting beside a table with a community publication lying upon it. It had ads, jokes, trivia, fun facts, and horoscopes:
Surprisingly, yes, that's exactly how I feel! I'm not familiar with my environment, nor do I know the people at work or the workers and others stacked in the hotel I live in! Amazing.
I also liked Mr. Marden's quote in the "Quoteable Quotes." Hmmm, I wonder if they meant to misspell quotable...
After waiting in the waiting room, I got weighed, told the nurse my height, got my heart rate taken, temperature, and then I had to go in the hall for the eye exam. As I mentioned before, I read a LOT today and was on the computer for the majority of the time, meaning that my eyesight depleted. That's what happens every time I get a desk job and it stinks. I'll be diligently working to counteract the time I spend staring at screens and pages of information.
So, other than starting an internship in Kansas City today, I've never had a drug test that consisted of the nurse cutting out a lock of my hair, sealing it up in an envelope, having me initial a few things, and sending me off on my merry way with a chunk of hair missing from the side of my head! The other nurse in the room was joking around with me saying "You know that nurse hasn't ever cut anyone's hair before?" and "She hasn't shaved all of your hair yet?" Little did she know that I've already been there before :)
On my drive home I was getting a little angsty about seeing so many apartment complexes, highways, and tall business headquarter buildings and such, so Ruby and I drove until we found some sweet sights of nature.
I've two conference calls tomorrow morning, an intern luncheon with the other 10 interns, and then I head south for the annual BFF (Brunner Family Float Trip!)
It's 8pm and the sun is shining!
I do love fun facts. Did you know that a crow will never land with his/her right foot first? They always land left foot first. How bout that fun fact.
ReplyDelete